APPLICATIONS FOR Fall 2017 ARE OPEN
Fall 2017 APPLICATIONS accepted until Saturday, September 2nd at 5 pm. Interviews will take place September 6-8.
Important Dates for Mandatory Events: New Student Orientation: ; September 8th and Bessey Hall 240.
APPLY to STEM Scholars: Click here ---> https://iastate.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_bsCGHm7LuqMp3XD&Q_JFE=0
STEM Scholars Program (SSP) is a "strength-based" community of scholars. Although we recognize the very real need of students, we believe that selecting members based on their strengths (potential to contribute to the SSP community and society) rather than their need for support (e.g., financial and academic challenges), has resulted in a SSP culture where individual student success and reciprocal support of one another go hand in hand. Using a written application and invited interviews we look for the following in our prospective members: 1) "distance traveled" - barriers and challenges they have negotiated, 2) passion for science, and 3) demonstrated commitment to service. We use SATs and GPAs not as a threshold to include/exclude students but as an entrée to discuss an applicant's life circumstances. Measures of strength may also include a candidate's resilience, persistence, willingness to seek and give help, and ability to re-strategize and re-group in the face of failure.
Who is “eligible”? Any ISU undergraduate who supports the mission and goals of the STEM Scholars. The program is tailored to support students from Underrepresented populations (minority, low income, or first generation) and Transfer students.
Requirements The biggest strengths of SSP is the active participation of its members in support of each other’s success. Some specific minimum membership requirements are listed below, but they just represent a baseline of participation. SSP members contribute to the community in a myriad of ways not listed here, both large and small, from tutoring their peers to making new students feel welcome. Members often say “you get out of it what you put into it” which aligns with our observation that the most active and engaged BSP members often have better long-term success in achieving their goals. We ask that all members consider how they can use their unique strengths, skills, ideas, and interests to contribute to the STEM Scholars community.
Minimum SSP Member Requirements:
- Attend the STEM Scholars Orientation meeting
- Meet with Dr. Corey Welch (Director, STEM Scholars) at least once each semester
- Attend evening workshops 1-2 times/month. List of types/topics of workshops will vary by semester.
- Take 1-unit course taught by Dr. Welch: LAS 290S Special Projects: STEM Scholars. "Surviving and Succeeding in a STEM Major" (offered Fall each year; Class meets on Mondays 4 pm) within your 1st two years at ISU. ENROLLING in the class is by showing up to the first two classes and turning in add-course form or getting a form from me in Catt 133. YOU DO NOT have to be enrolled in the course to apply to the STEM Scholars for membership.
- Participate in the Peer Tutor program for entry level STEM courses (Biology 211 and Biology 212 tutoring are offered in Spring 2017); Help develop additional peer tutoring for other courses you are taking. Details to be explained later.
- Strongly encouraged, but not required: Spend at least 1 summer/semester doing paid research, an internship, or other related professional activity aligned with your major.
- Be supportive and a contributing member to the STEM Scholar community.
- Respond to emails and surveys from STEM Scholars Staff during their undergraduate years and after graduation from ISU.